Sadness, loneliness, depression, fatigue. . .
These are adjectives I’d use to describe what happens when life losses its luster and disappointment weighs down the heart.
So what do we do?
God’s Word gives us the answer. . .
The antidote for sadness is not to dwell on it, rather it’s found as we take our eyes off ourselves and our circumstances, and fix them on God through praise and thanksgiving.
Psalm 43:5 from the Message translation puts it this way:
“Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God— soon I’ll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He’s my God.”
Dear friend, I know it’s not easy, I’ve been there. But here are some things that might help:
- Dwell on God’s goodness, and how much He loves you. Lift your eyes to Heaven and hope in God.
- Declare God’s promises daily. Here’s one to start : “You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light.” 2 Samuel 22:29
- Make a list daily of 3-5 things you’re thankful for. Post it somewhere and read it throughout the day giving God thanks for each one.
- If you’re having trouble focusing, and reading the Bible is difficult, listen to God’s Word from the Bible App.
- Play soothing worship music at home or in your car. Sing along 😊
- Talk with a friend or family member, or your pastor.
- Remind yourself that you’re just passing through a season. Tell yourself, “This too shall pass.”
- Hug your beloved pet if you have one.
- Seek professional counseling if needed.
- My personal favorite: eat chocolate 😊
God always makes a way of escape!
Believe, hope, trust God. Before you know it the heaviness will lift, and you’ll be praising God with a smile 😊
What helps you to deal with sadness? Please share, I’d love to know ❤
One last thought. It helps me to remember that sadness is not a sign of weakness. It’s just part of life. Once you’ve experienced a season of sadness, you’ll appreciate the glad times even more. I found this quote very encouraging…
Hope be with you!
All content © Leila Grandemange, unless otherwise noted.